Sunday 16 September 2012

Callum Scott - Spicy Vegetable Soup


(This is the first and only post that is taken partially from my other blog)



This is the first of what will probably be a few soup recipes I post on here. Making soup is an activity I rely on when I'm upset or angry. I'm not sure why this is. I think chopping everything up into uniform pieces somehow relaxes me. Soup itself is a comforting food. I think making soup for someone is a reassuring gesture.

I think my relationship with soup began in my first year of university. I would get pretty depressed pretty often, and I quite often didn't have a lot of money. I think maybe a Pavlov's dogs style relationship built up, as I was at my worst when I was too poor to get pissed and forget about it. I started off simple, and slowly built up my soup repertoire. It was also whilst in university halls where my obsession with soup became unhealthy. I would make more soup than I could consume. The freezer would be full of it, and I'd even post desperate facebook statuses trying to get rid of it. Second year saw my addiction subside a bit, so I was at least only making a correct amount of soup, a ratio which I've about kept up. Here is a sketch I wrote about my soup addiction.


There's nothing better after a bad gig than to make a massive pot of soup. It got me through Edinburgh a couple of times certainly. More people should try the soup method for dealing with bad moods. Like any coping mechanism, if it's not abused, it can be quite rewarding, and it cheers you up twice; once making it, and once eating it. This is my own recipe for Spicy Vegetable Soup.

Callum's Spicy Vegetable Soup
Serves 3-4
Ingredients:
1tbsp oil
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
2 sweet potatoes, diced
1tbsp paprika
1tsp oregano
1 bay leaf
1 clove garlic
1tsp cumin (optional)
1 red chilli, finely chopped (optional)
1 litre chicken or vegetable stock (cubes is fine)
1tbsp tomato puree
1 tin pinto beans
3tbsp sweetcorn
handful shredded cabbage
juice of 1 lemon
Salt and lots of black pepper

Gently sautee onion, carrots, and sweet potatoes in oil on a low heat for 10-15mins
Add herbs and spices (inc. garlic and chilli if using) and cook for another 1min before adding stock and tomato puree. Simmer until everything is tender. Remove the bay leaf at this point.
Blend the mixture until smooth and add beans, sweetcorn and cabbage. Cook for 8-10 minutes
Add the lemon juice, salt and pepper, and serve.

@callumformetal

No comments:

Post a Comment